“Everybody wants to change the world; nobody wants to help mom with the dishes.” — PJ O’Rourke
We’ve all heard variations of the platitude, “Real change comes from within” at least a million times before.
We hear it so often that the meaning never sinks in, so we continually focus and remind ourselves again and again that real change comes from within.
Our hope is that some rock star executive will magically appear on a white horse and solve all our problems. But real change doesn’t happen that way or at least it never ends happily.
Real change is going to come from you taking a risk and sticking your neck out. Nobody is going to tell you what to do. Not me. Not somebody else.
If you want real change in your business, it will take you stepping up to the challenge.
- Earn your success, one step at a time. This takes commitment. You must choose it rather than being overwhelmed by it.
- Nothing changes until somebody feels something. Instead of waiting for a bad Yelp review. How about being proactive and taking inventory of areas that influence customer perception and value. For example, regarding your linens and towels. Are they fresh, clean, and in pristine condition? If not what is YOUR plan?
- Do you have the tools you need to lead? Leadership is telling stories. Good leadership is telling better stories. Better leadership is telling stories that create a better future. Great leadership is getting people to believe your stories. What is your story? How well are you leading with your story?
- You can do everything, just not at the same time. Sometimes knowing what NOT to do, is a far more important question, than WHAT to do.
- Conquering fear is how we grow. Everyone is just as scared as you are. The question is, what are you going to do about it? It’s not easy. If it were, we wouldn’t call it fear. But that’s where big opportunities become apparent.